Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Writer's Thread?

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by Jaded, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    [​IMG]
    :p

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Jaded likes this.
  2. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    So NaNoWriMo is coming up and I feel like I want to do it, but when I really think about I 1) have no good ideas 2) haven't actually written more than 5k on any 1 project in ages and 3) think I'm more interested in the idea of writing than actually writing. boo.

Despairagus and Jaded like this.
  3. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    1. A bad idea is better than no idea. Take something nonsense and run with it. At the very worst it'll be practice. (That was cheesy.)
    2. It doesn't technically have to be one project. If you wanna write a bunch of short stories you could. Or a couple of medium ones. Take it in little chunks.
    3. I don't have a good response for this one. Unless I say something like this is a good way to find out if you like writing or not? idk just pretend I had a good response to this one.

hopefully this is helpful, I'm kinda panicking and word vomiting about writing is helping. I gave out of light to someone to beta read. But this post is about you, not me so ignore this.

Despairagus likes this.
  4. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    It was helpful :) I guess I'm just bitching because I never finish anything because I either can't think of where to go next or get bored or realize it's absolute crap. lol. I'm throwing around the idea of writing a super cheesy, cliched romance that isn't even intended to be good, just so I can say I finished something.

Also...you've totally got this! Your first one was really good. And I'm sure you already know this but in case you don't remember it in your panic, just because one person doesn't like it doesn't mean no one will. :hug:

Jaded likes this.
  5. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    That's actually a really good plan, having something nonsense to finish, then the next one won't seem quite so unattainable. Plus, cliched, ridiculous romance sounds like it would probably be really fun to write.

warning, cheesy words incoming.

You can't finish if you don't start, and everyone's first draft is awful. So, yes, maybe what you write for NaNo will be crap, but it will be something you can polish into not crap. (And then polish a few more times into goodstuff. Or throw it away and start something with what you learned from Cliched Romance Nonsense.)

/end cheesy words.

I'm assuming at some point, I won't get anxious when I share writing with someone, lol. I'm beginning to doubt that though.

themildone likes this.
  6. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    I've written some little cheesy romance stuff for a creative writing class and it was pretty fun. that's why I'm kind of considering that.
    and lol! I don't think I ever will either. I've never published anything, but I won a state-wide contest in high school and I still get nervous sharing it even now.

Jaded likes this.
  7. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    Well that's pretty awesome :eek:

8. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    eh, it wasn't a super big deal lol. It was for students in high school creative writing classes. there were tons of different categories and I entered for short story. It's honestly like...my peak performance lol. I literally haven't finished anything since then. It's awful and I kind of wish I'd never won because I think I would still be writing.

9. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    psh, lies.

psh, lies.

Just treat it as a break. I started writing my first two stories at 15 and didn't pick it up again till I was 30. Just start, that's the hardest part.

sinon and themildone like this.
  10. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    Ugh it really is. I already have a loose idea for my super cheesy romance. Are you doing nano? you gotta keep me accountable if you are :p

Jaded likes this.
  11. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    I think so, iwant to work on something new, but I also want to finish another draft of Out of Light. So I guess it depends on what the beta reader says, and how much extra work I'm gonna need.

If I don't work on something new, I'll just cheat and edit for NaNo :eek:

themildone likes this.
  12. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    And I'll totally be your accountability person, if you'll be mine :p

13. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    absolutely! lol. Not sure what that includes though, I've never had/been an accountability person :eek: other than my creative writing teacher and I don't think that really counts

Jaded likes this.
  14. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    Hm, idk either. Maybe we'll just tag/message each other every day to see if we both wrote?

themildone likes this.
  15. Turtlefemm

Turtlefemm
    Expand Collapse
    Mostly a Turtle

• Contributor
    I didn't know this thread was here. Now I know this thread is here. :D
    I wish I was a beta reader for Out of Light
    I've been a writer forever.. like since I first started "writing" inside my closet before I understood letters, so made my own. I'm terrible with finishing things now. My mind is so scattery a lot of the time because of gloom clouds, I think. My big project is not fiction, but a memoir about the 4 years I took care of my mother on my own after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. It's gotten as far as it is now (which is in multiple pieces everywhere) because I have been using it as a focus in school, first while I finished my bachelor's and now while working on my masters in English/Creative writing. I already told Jaded about my other book from years ago and I really should edit that to be more "current" like with cell phones and stuff. It's a very light reading type mystery. I sort of lost steam when it was accepted by a publisher years ago and then that publisher got eaten up by a larger publisher that dumped all of the new accepted authors out into the street. :(

Despairagus and Jaded like this.
  16. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    Finishing is hard and gloom clouds suck.

I still say (at least I think I said this) that if it was accepted once it probably would be again :eek: Modernizing it a little probably couldn't hurt. (I mean that in the exact way it's worded, not the implication that it needs modernized.)

I thought about asking you (actually typed it up a few times.) I just didn't think you'd want to read it if it wasn't a finished (or at least almost finished) product rather than (what may be*) a total mess. That's actually the reason I didn't ask anyone here, figured they wouldn't enjoy it.

*I'm honestly not sure if it is or not. It makes sense to me, but I wrote it so of course it would.

#116 Jaded, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  17. Turtlefemm

Turtlefemm
    Expand Collapse
    Mostly a Turtle

• Contributor
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of the reading that way. It's also possible I could be too biased toward it, too. It is easy to fill in the blanks without meaning to if I really like characters or a story already and that wouldn't be particularly helpful for critique. I'm just impatient for the finished product. :p

Jaded likes this.
  18. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    I really amused myself yesterday and just wanted to share this with the writer thread.

I don't think I'm supposed to admit to amusing myself, but oh well. I'm tickled as heck.

sinon likes this.
  19. themildone

themildone
    Expand Collapse
    the real Jaded

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    :ROFL: that's pretty funny! (also I'm gonna read everything on your site now thanks)

Jaded likes this.
  20. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator

Might wanna space it out. I'm pretty annoying in large doses! :p