Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Horse Feathers

Horse Feathers
    Expand Collapse
    There's no future in time travel.

• Contributor
    OH SNAP! ;)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    jan likes this.
  2. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

3. ChristopherASA

ChristopherASA
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
  4. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

All of this is political. That's the problem.

5. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

6. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

they held a party of sorts for him at the trump hotel - afterwards :(

I sincerely hope they call him back and his atty charges 1,000 an hour:devil:

7. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

8. ChristopherASA

ChristopherASA
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
  9. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    Looks like President Trump declared a national emergency concerning the invasion on our southern border.

jan likes this.
  10. lil queen trashmouth

lil queen trashmouth
    Expand Collapse
    Pile of ham

• Contributor
    "In the bill, by the way, they didn't even fight us on most of the stuff...We have so much money, we don't know what to do with it. I don't know what to do with all the money they're giving us. It's crazy."

HEALTHCARE YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ONE GODDAMN WORD AGAINST UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE WHILE YOU'RE BRAGGING ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT HAVING TOO MUCH MONEY, YOU MAN-SIZED SEBACEOUS CYST

11. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

and then went to go play golf

our country is in shambles.

savvylabell, jklmnop and CrazyCatLady like this.
  12. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    Seriously? UGH

Agreed.

savvylabell, jklmnop and jan like this.
  13. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

NARRATOR: There was no invasion.

14. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    So, Arkansas passed a law banning abortions after 20 weeks. No exceptions for rape. Incest. Or Lethal fetal conditions.
    They said that making a woman carry a baby that'll die during or hours after childbirth will help her grieve her baby's death.

I know this is a serious topic and I hope it's okay I post it on this political thread.
    I am so upset with my state.

savvylabell and jan like this.
  15. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

More proof that the subjugation of women, not life, is the true goal of anti-abortion extremists.

savvylabell, jan and CrazyCatLady like this.
  16. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    Just disappoints me.
    I made a comment on FB saying that we need to offer better mental health with the bill AR passed because lots of women are going to be needing it.

Being more liberal minded in a very conservative state sucks at times.

jan and jklmnop like this.
  17. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I had a friend whose very much wanted baby was being carried in a sac without any amniotic fluid.
    And had no lungs. The doctors said that it would be born and then, unable to breathe....suffocate....:(.
    She had a late term abortion. She didn't want the baby to suffer like that.

That's just what I would have done, too. People conflate truth with lies. (I know I'm responding about late term stuff, but that's the biggest lie).

#4197 jan, Feb 15, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    savvylabell, jklmnop and CrazyCatLady like this.
  18. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    How heartbreaking! My thoughts are with your friend.
    The news is only talking about late-term stuff so my mind is going there too. I see my friends on fb sharing false information on abortions. I just gave up trying to correct them. I've posted so many times late term abortions are babies that are wanted. :(

savvylabell and jan like this.
  19. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that's true at all. The reason that so many people are opposed to abortion, even in the most unfavorable conditions, is that they believe that a fetus (at least 20 weeks old in this case) is equal to a person. You and I might not share that belief, but it shouldn't be hard to understand why someone wouldn't want to end the life of an innocent person unless absolutely necessary. This is a value that humans agree on almost unanimously. We just don't all agree on what counts as a person.

savvylabell likes this.
  20. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

My point was specifically about extremists, but we both know that people are deluded by all sorts of nonsense. Doesn't make it right. Doesn't change the fact that by framing fetuses as somehow separate from the woman carrying them, those people are by definition subjugating women. Dehumanizing them as mere incubators. It's not about the value of human life at that point. It's about a decades-long effort to create a social construct of personhood that can then be used to outlaw abortion and restrict women's rights. (And they are NOT subtle about it -- see it in action here)

Anyway, Rebecca Traister says this stuff better than I can and the entire linked piece is worth reading:

...During pregnancy, should some medical, economic, or emotional circumstance have caused my fate to be weighed against that of my baby, I believe that my rights, my health, my consciousness, and my obligations to others—including to my toddler daughter—outweigh the rights of the unborn human inside me.

Talking about abortions in this way may sound heartless and baby-hating—even, I fear, to pro-choice ears. But that’s not because it is heartless or baby-hating;
    it’s because the conversation around abortion has become so terribly warped. Public discussion of abortion has come to inexorably privilege fetal life over female life. The imaginary futures—the “personhoods”—of the unborn have taken moral precedence over the adult women in whose bodies they grow. (emphasis mine)

This is why public accounts of abortions are almost always accompanied with ample helpings of guilt and self-flagellation (“the hardest decision of my life,” “something I still think about”), lest the woman sound icy and immoral. ... Most people, no matter their politics, have absorbed some aspect of the right-wing narrative that abortions are uniformly harrowing and traumatic, when for many women they are brief events that leave no lasting mark.

And so we need to make it clear that abortions are not about fetuses or embryos. Nor are they about babies, except insofar as they enable women to make sound decisions about if or when to have them. They’re about women: their choices, health, and their own moral value. It might sound far-fetched to suggest that the public debate about reproduction could ever sound this sensible. But there have been times in our history when it did—even when (and sometimes because) women had far fewer rights and freedoms than they do today.

#4200 jklmnop, Feb 16, 2019 at 1:51 AM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 2:05 AM
    savvylabell likes this.