Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

2. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

We have a great shot here to replace our creepy clown county clerk with a Democrat whose MO is to expand access to the ballot. Hopefully first stop is to get rid of the crappy machines. The first election I ever voted in, in 1996 in Austin, was on optical scan ballots. Shortly thereafter the state started allowing the faulty Hart InterCivic machines in big counties. This came just after the GOP took control of the state. I don't think that was, or the fact that we are STILL using them, is a coincidence. We need to go back to paper ballots, period.

Despairagus and jan like this.
  3. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

It's just a disgrace. All that money that idiot spent on 'voter fraud' and what we really need are simple fixes for voting......on the ground.

Anyway, I'm so scared for today. :nailbiting::bear:

ETA: Just saw this:

China grants more trademark approvals for Ivanka Trump firm - including voting machines
    BEIJING (Reuters) - China last month granted initial approval for 16 new trademarks for the fashion brand of U.S. President Donald Trump’s daughter and adviser Ivanka, including voting machines, a search of official records on Tuesday showed.

The group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington made the findings about the new China trademarks in a Monday statement, and said it was the largest number of new Chinese trademarks her company has received in a single month since her father took office.

Snip

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-usa-ivanka/china-grants-more-trademark-approvals-for-ivanka-trump-firm-including-voting-machines

#3963 jan, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Despairagus and jklmnop like this.
  4. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Yeah I saw that. WTAF?

If you or anyone you know is inclined to follow things along w/ paper, this election night form is outstanding:

The spectre of election hacking keeps me from feeling confident about tonight's results.

5. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

6. Krikket

Krikket
    Expand Collapse
    YouTube Connoisseur

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    Same. I am cautiously hopeful. Voted Beto on Friday.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Despairagus and jklmnop like this.
  7. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

8. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to bed.

I hate this country. :flush:

savvylabell and jklmnop like this.
  9. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

Hell yeah. Kobach got kostomped.

I did that. :piggy:

jan, jml and jklmnop like this.
  10. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

House Democrats already announcing that they'll be requesting Trump's tax returns. I'm glad there will be a check on the white house now, but maybe wait until tomorrow, or at least until you've officially won...

11. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Fitter Happier

What a mixed bag tonight was, man. I was watching with some friends...when Florida started to turn for the Republicans, 538's prediction for Dems taking the house plummeted to like 30% and we all had this "not again" sense of dread wash over us. Thankfully Florida seems to just be a weird, disappointing outlier for the most part. Senate's a bit worse than I hoped too but at least the Dems took the house.

Props to @DCI@DCI and co telling Kobach to eat it, biggest schadenfreude moment of the night so far for me.

Also props to @jklmnop@jklmnop and the others here who did some campaigning for Beto. May not have ended up with the most ideal (longshot) result but you guys helped make it easier to flip the house.

So...after all of that hype and stress leading up to this I'm basically ending up with a feeling of "that was okay-ish, I guess?"

#3971 jml, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    savvylabell, Despairagus, DCI and 2 others like this.
  12. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    beto’s concession speech has been amazing. i doubt this is the last we’ve seen of him

savvylabell, Despairagus and jan like this.
  13. Krikket

Krikket
    Expand Collapse
    YouTube Connoisseur

• Contributor
    • HIT Poster
    I certainly hope not. He had my vote this time and will next time. I am sad that Cruz won. I heard a lot of Texans went home after showing up to broken machines, but I guess we'll never know. The blue wave still gives me hope.

14. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    we are in new times now. Texas is swaying more and more blue as time goes on.

I think Beto would make a good VP choice. maybe even presidential nominee choice.

if Dems really want a shot to win 2020 - a team of Tulsi Gabbard and him would be a knockout imo.

savvylabell and jan like this.
  15. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

Florida is such a lost state. The Gov. loss means that their Supreme Court is also lost - and the state will be gerrymandered into the 1900's.

I hated FL. - but we lived there for many years and have many friends there. I'm so sad.

savvylabell and Despairagus like this.
  16. CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    I'm not too upset with the election. I wish for more blue wins, but at least Democrats have control of the house. Better than nothing.
    Locally, all red, but that's how it is in Arkansas. :)

savvylabell, DCI and Despairagus like this.
  17. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    CrazyCatLady and savvylabell like this.
  18. Mecca

Mecca
    Expand Collapse

I want this post to be taken as no offense to anyone personally here but for some reason I feel like the last couple of years have been a complete indictment of how much the rural folk in this country can not stand progress or really educated people from the city.

I will fully admit I'm likely jaded on this topic as the rural people I've met have not done much to make me think I'd ever want to be there, it's just this massive disconnect of people who want progress in cities and people in rural areas who think it should be 1955.

tricker, jklmnop, jan and 1 other person like this.
  19. savvylabell

savvylabell
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    [​IMG]

I just want y’all to know a local of my city thinks this is a really big question about our new female senator who beat the incumbent repub. Let us not worry about the fact she was a commander in the navy and maybe had a career based around a last name. Yep. This guy’s biggest concern.

BUT. She won.

I’m sad about Beto. I have quite a few Texan friends. I’m happy Scott Walker is out. Glad we have house. This was a trial run for 2020 and I hope we got some good practice.

20. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

Here's some of my take aways from last night.

Most important (obvious): Democrats now control the house, meaning that that there will be real oversight of this administration for the first time. Considering how many scandals they've already been caught up in with an all Republican congress, it will probably be pretty ugly.

Most telling: Republicans got rekt in rust belt states that were instrumental to Trump's 2016 win.

Most underrated: Having minimum wage on the ballot in Missouri didn't save Claire McCaskill in a close senate race. That's bad news for poor people, because it makes future minimum wage initiatives less likely.

Second most underrated: Florida just unlocked 1.4 million voters by scrapping their law that prevents ex felons from voting. That's a pretty big deal considering what an important state it is and how close races usually are there.

Weirdest: Ron DeSantis, generally considered a pretty weak candidate, out performed Rick Scott in Florida despite the fact that Rick Scott has a 56% approval rating as governor and was facing a weaker opponent.

Best: Trump super fan and voter suppression innovator Kris Kobach lost by EIGHT POINTS in super red Kansas in a race where he was ahead in polling the whole way. Illegal caravan votes!?!?!?!?!?!?!