Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Midnight Marauder

Damn sure sounds like Kavanaugh's life is ruined

jklmnop, jan and DCI like this.
  2. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

This is still surprising to me, even though the prevailing opinion was that he would still get confirmed. I mean, it's not surprising to see politicians put self preservation over all else, but to me, the calculation is surprising, at least for some of the people involved.

A lot of these people aren't running for anything this year, and it's pretty hard to imagine this aging well. There was also never really much threat of the doomsday scenario where the nomination is stopped, Republicans lose the senate in November, and the seat is held open for 2 years. They are still there until January, so it would have been pretty easy for them to just get another conservative judge.

jan likes this.
  3. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    I am so angry and heartbroken. This is basically what's been summed up by this whole process...I paraphrased some of Collin's statements and added a few comments she did not make for supporting evidence. Note: It's basically what I heard and not exactly what she said. Don't pitchfork me. (Links are in odd places but worth looking at if you think this was a fair investigation/hearing/confirmation and that Kavanaugh is some good guy who can do no wrong.)

"This confirmation cycle was horrendous and has destroyed the integrity of the process, but it's the Democrat's fault."

"They're (protesters) just parroting things said by the media that simply aren't true! Or they're paid actors."

"We believe women are sexually assaulted, but we don't believe their recount of it. And may even muddy the waters to discredit them."

"Sexual assault is a real and horrific issue in our country that we must take seriously... But when it comes to this case, we aren't."

"Even if a nominee lies before the senate, they answered our questions in private and told us everything we wanted to hear, so they must be telling the truth. Kavanaugh will be a good fit for the job."

"The investigations by our intelligence communities did not find anything, except we won't tell you that the White House was controlling and obstructing it from behind the scenes..."

"We spoke to everyone regarding the Kavanaugh allegations, except at least 30 other corroborating witnesses who really wanted to speak out but were ignored."

"I am positive Kavanaugh will be non-partisan. Look at this record to prove it!" (Proof)

"I will vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh." ("Fuck America; I've got a job lined up after this anyway.")

TLDR: "We are a partisan party of lies that will provide lip service but won't serve our true constituents, and we will project all of this onto the Democrats because we want to own the libs and serve our own interests."
    [​IMG]

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #3823 sinon, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I am so angry. I really, really hope that Susan Collins runs again....because I want her to be defeated! Not just walk away from the Senate. I want her to LOSE.

jklmnop likes this.
  5. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

Tbf, if she had voted no, there's a very good chance that she would have lost in the GOP primary in 2020 anyway.

I think Lisa Murkowski will be a political force a lot longer than people like Susan Collins that just go with whatever direction they think the political winds are blowing today.

Kinda funny to compare Murkowski to Jeff Flake also. He folds up like a cheap tent and retires without a fight, making speeches, but not using his position to do anything about anything. Otoh, she does what she wants and when she gets primaried, she runs as a write in and wins. Need more of her and less cowards.

jklmnop, Freda Brown and jan like this.
  6. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I wish I could think of anything to say that doesn't involve weeping
    or throwing my laptop across the room.
    I am just so defeated.

jklmnop and Freda Brown like this.
  7. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Midnight Marauder

Remember how George W Bush has inexplicably had a positive favorability rating among Democrats in recent years

jklmnop, Freda Brown and Miriette like this.
  8. Freda Brown

Freda Brown
    Expand Collapse

Hear Hear! equally heartbroken (and afraid) here.

jklmnop and sinon like this.
  9. Freda Brown

Freda Brown
    Expand Collapse

VOTE! Talk to your neighbors...if you actually go to the polls to vote, take someone with you that needs a ride. Pray to the mother of the universe or whatever you hold sacred. Do whatever you can think of to swing the vote.
    Write a blue wave of postcards...do you know about

postcardstovoters.org and needtoimpeach.com/notecards? The latter will send you notecards and prestamped envelopes. I was just reading lately that the apparently personal notes like these have a big effect.

We are the majority...poll after poll shows it.

jklmnop and jan like this.
  10. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

I made calls for Beto tonight as a way to manage my rage. It helped. Gonna do it again tomorrow.

Here is a much-needed bit of levity from the past month+, you must click through and read the whole thread. For anyone not familiar with Twitter, each conversation under the main post is separated by a thin line. So keep scrolling...

#3830 jklmnop, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Freda Brown and Jaded like this.
  11. Freda Brown

Freda Brown
    Expand Collapse

Oooh! Good idea. Beto phone calls. That's my agenda for tomorrow.

12. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Go here and sign up as soon as you can. Idk how automated their volunteer intake is now. I think if you check make calls or send texts, you will get an email to sign up for a short webinar training session. After the first few calls it's very easy.
    https://act.betofortexas.com/signup/volunteer

Freda Brown likes this.
  13. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Midnight Marauder

jklmnop, Freda Brown and jan like this.
  14. Freda Brown

Freda Brown
    Expand Collapse

thank you

15. lobo925

lobo925
    Expand Collapse
    CEO of Pizza

• Contributor
    [​IMG]

jan likes this.
  16. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

Young people need to get out and vote if they want to save the country

Certain to vote in '18, based on late-Sept. Gallup poll:
    65+ 82%
    50-64 69%
    30-49 55%
    18-29 26%

#3836 jan, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    jklmnop likes this.
  17. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Midnight Marauder

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html

lmao....this is gonna own so many libs!! #maga #winning

DCI likes this.
  18. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

We really need some better public spokespeople that spend less time trying to explain science to people and more time highlighting the asymmetrical consequences of being wrong about this. If it turns out that people aren't really causing climate change and we continue to act as if they do, maybe the economy won't operate quite as efficiently as it would have otherwise. Otoh, if it turns out that people really are causing climate change and we continue to act as if they don't, we're all going to die.

I'd also like for climate change deniers to be asked more often about how a global climate change misinformation conspiracy works. Millions of scientists around the world somehow secretly communicate with each other and hatch a plan to produce false data that hopefully none of them will blow the whistle on and no one else will double check, all in an attempt to...trick people into car pooling?

Jaded, jml and Miriette like this.
  19. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    The real themildone

• Administrator
    I've really never thought too hard about it either way but now I really, really wanna see an answer to this part right here. What would be the point?

DCI likes this.
  20. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse