Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

Instead of investigating Swetnick's claims, the White House counsel's office has given the FBI a list of witnesses they are permitted to interview, according to several people who discussed the parameters on the condition of anonymity. They characterized the White House instructions as a significant constraint on the FBI investigation and caution that such a limited scope, while not unusual in normal circumstances, may make it difficult to pursue additional leads in a case in which a Supreme Court nominee has been accused of sexual assault.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...kavanaugh-investigation/ar-BBNIplf?li=BBnb7Kz

2. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

And to think I thought today might be a day off from rage

3. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

sorry.
    Maybe avanatti will sue him or something. He's a 'tough guy' and he knows how to take on trump.
    Perhaps he has a few tricks up his sleeve.

jklmnop likes this.
  4. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Oh no need to apologize! It's all over Twitter, it's inescapable.

jan likes this.
  5. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/...itical-weapon-and-women-need-to-wield-it.html

What happened inside the room was an exceptionally clear distillation of who has historically been allowed to be angry on their own behalf, and who has not.

And outside the room was a hint of how it might be changing.

Many of the women shouting now are women who have not previously yelled publicly before, many of them white middle-class women newly awakened to political fury and protest. Part of the process of becoming mad must be recognizing that they are not the first to be furious, and that there is much to learn from the stories and histories of the livid women — many of them not white or middle class — who have never had reasonnotto be mad.

If you are angry today, or if you have been angry for a while, and you’re wondering whether you’re allowed to be as angry as you feel, let me say: Yes. Yes, you are allowed. You are, in fact, compelled.

If you’ve been feeling a new rage at the flaws of this country, and if your anger is making you want to change your life in order to change the world, then I have something incredibly important to say: Don’t forget how this feels.

Tell a friend, write it down, explain it to your children now, so they will remember. And don’t let anyone persuade you it wasn’t right, or it was weird, or it was some quirky stage in your life when you went all political —remember that, honey, that year you went crazy? No. No. Don’t let it ever become that. Because people willtry.

The future will come, we hope. If we survive this, if we make it better — even just a little bit better — the urgency will fade, perhaps the ire will subside, the relief may take you, briefly. And that’s good, that’s O.K.

But then the world will come and tell you that you shouldn’t get mad again, because you were kind of nuts and you never cooked dinner and you yelled at the TV and weren’t so pretty and life will be easier when you get fun again. And it will be awfully tempting to put away the pictures of yourself in your pussy hat, to stuff your protest signs in the attic, and to slink back, away from the raw bite of fury, to ease back into whatever new reality is made, and maybe you’ll still cry angry tears at your desk and laugh with sharp satisfaction in front of late-night television, but you won’t yell anymore.

What you’re angry about now — injustice — will still exist, even if you yourself are not experiencing it, or are tempted to stop thinking abouthowyou experience it, and how you contribute to it. Others are still experiencing it, still mad; some of them are mad at you. Don’t forget them; don’t write off their anger. Stay mad for them, alongside them, let them lead you in anger.

#3805 jklmnop, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    jan likes this.
  6. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/opin...brought-back-assault-jennifer-taub/index.html

Brett Kavanaugh and I have a lot in common

We both were raised with conservative politics and attended elite prep schools. We both are religious, with deep faith and a belief in God. We both attended Yale in the mid-1980s. We both, aside from occasional binge drinking, worked hard in school and wrote for the student newspaper. We both studied at Cross Campus Library. We both managed to get into top-tier law schools. He Yale, me Harvard. Although we shared similarities, I do not recall ever meeting him at Yale.

But there is one place where our similarities end, and that has made all of the difference in our lives. While Brett Kavanaugh appears to have moved fluidly from his beer-drinking prep school days into his beer-drinking college years, I was not as fortunate.

jan likes this.
  7. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

8. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

Women's March is Announced. Pass the word!
    1/19/19: The #WomensWave is coming
    It’s time to march again

We are outraged. We are organized. They forgot that 5 million women lit the world on fire two years ago. On January 19, 2019, we’re going to remind them when we flood the streets of Washington, D.C., and with sister marches in cities across the globe. Save the date: The #WomensWave is coming, and we’re sweeping the world forward with us.
    https://www.womensmarch.com/2019/

jklmnop likes this.
  9. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

cassius and jklmnop like this.
  10. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

sorry, Jan. was on the page 190 when i saw this.

jan likes this.
  11. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    Sadly, I can completely relate to what you're describing. For those of us who have experienced assaults first hand, we're conditioned to think it's our fault. The seemingly endless victim-blaming rhetoric has taught girls/women all over that if they are assaulted, they must have done something to instigate or deserve it. And honestly, that's beyond f'd up. The humiliation, fear, PTSD, anxiety, depression, etc, that victims carry post-assault is difficult enough to battle.

Trump said on TV today (paraphrasing), "Think of what Kavanaugh's wife and daughters are going through. What his beautiful family is dealing with because of these allegations." He had nothing to add for the alleged victims except poking at their credibility and asking why Dr. Ford's just now reporting after 30-some years. We are being shown in real time that our fears were always justified...Now I just hope MeToo and all of this is getting big enough to empower women to speak their truth.

Please don't think what happened is your fault. One thing that has given me peace of mind the past year or two is realizing I have no control over other people's actions. Abusers make the active choice to abuse, and despite what society wants us to think, we victims are not responsible for their actions. :hug:

My heart is bleeding for everyone who's being incessantly triggered by this madness :(

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    micky, jklmnop and jan like this.
  12. Metallica

Metallica
    Expand Collapse
    Never free, never me

• Contributor
    • Mentor
    Last night was the first time I bothered watching a Trump rally. I'm amazed to see just how fanatical his supporters are... its a bit scary. The best part of the whole thing was some little girl dancing and stuff every time the crowd cheered. I feel like the parents planned to make her famous for the night ;)

Horse Feathers and jan like this.
  13. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand how anyone could listen to lies and cheer. Or meaningless parenthetical phrases that never organize into coherence.
    When Democrats lie and misrepresent the facts, I blanch. I worry about some of our leaders (in the democratic party) and don't cheer blindly at them.

I don't get it. Sure, some folks in both parties are deplorable (that's just how the world works). But I've listened to some seemingly smart people back trump - and (to quote a famous republican -who may or may not be smart), they just don't care.

cassius, Horse Feathers and Metallica like this.
  14. Horse Feathers

Horse Feathers
    Expand Collapse
    There's no future in time travel.

• Contributor
    It's cult rally brainwashing by flat out making shit up at every one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...vidence/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a8ed2bb0e04d

jan likes this.
  15. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

tee hee

jan likes this.
  16. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

17. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

Those serious civil penalties could bankrupt Trump. Which is just about the only good news I've had all day. :)

https://www.newsweek.com/nyc-will-r...p-owes-people-tax-fraud-mayor-bill-de-1151427

New York City will go after President Donald Trump for any taxes he owes on the money he received from his late father, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Wednesday, one day after The New York Times published a report that accused Trump of dodging tax payments on $413 million funneled to him from his dad's real estate empire.

“It’s clear to me that there are real ramifications right now to what has been disclosed, either potential violations of law, or in cases where the statute of limitations has ended that there may be very serious civil penalties that can be applied by both the state and the city,” de Blasio said. “The city of New York is looking to recoup any money that Donald Trump owes the people of New York City, period.”

jklmnop and Jaded like this.
  18. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Here is the source investigation for those who haven't read it yet. Showtime apparently filmed the NYT while they were putting this investigation together, and that will air this weekend.

Hopefully it puts the "Trump is a self-made man" lie to rest once and for all. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

and a tl;dr

#3818 jklmnop, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  19. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

:cry::cry::cry:

Jaded likes this.
  20. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

Pretty bad day for the country. There's a pretty good day coming in a month though. I know that I'll personally be voting a straight ticket for the first time in my life.

jklmnop and jml like this.