Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    Statements like that are the exact reason Trump is going to be re-elected

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    Hillary probably would've won if she wouldn't have called Trump supporters "a basket of deplorables". And I continue to see late night hosts and media alike walk the same line that cost Hilary the election. Do people not learn?

Those same "basket of deplorables" who made up 62 million people might be voting for Trump again in 2020. May be less. May be more. I rather have a different president than Trump myself, but seeing this bashing everyday (some of it justified)(some of it not) is head against the wall irritating. Because all it's doing is setting up him to re-elected on a silver damn platter.

3. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Fitter Happier

Reducing spending has never been a major concern for most people who call themselves liberals or leftists...that's traditionally been a conservative thing.

jklmnop likes this.
  4. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    9 trillion is a lot of cash though

5. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Fitter Happier

But that's not really the point DCI was making. Conservatives who were all about being "fiscal conservatives" before now love spending under Trump. Many deeply religious people who were terrified of explaining gay marriage to their kids 10 years ago not only voted for Donald "grab her by the pussy" Trump, they made up the most passionate part of his base.

There are many GOP voters out there who are driven by their hatred for liberals & liberal politicians more than anything else. There's no other explanation for the human disaster that is Roy Moore almost winning a senate race.

DCI, jklmnop and PastorPeachy like this.
  6. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    Fair points on how some conservatives have flip flopped on the spending narrative.

And that’s how it is on both sides. A lot of liberals will always vote for the Democratic candidate and a lot of conservatives will always vote for the Republican candidate. Just due to sheer disdain for the other side.

A lot of them are so hardset in that frame that they’ll always be opposed to certain ideas that may lean towards one side of political ideology (even if the idea is a good idea)

And it’s easy for them to hate liberals even more now that most of the media is egging them on. Hardening that irreversible frame they already have towards liberals and liberal politicans. And it doesn’t help when people like Hillary Clinton calls them a bag of deplorables

#3106 PastorPeachy, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    I know why late night shows and the media bash Trump every night. It gets ratings, but what I struggle to grasp is they’re literally alienating the millions of people who voted for and still back him.

I just don’t see it being a good gameplan heading into 2020. Of course a lot can happen between here and then. At least the next democratic presidential nominee will be smarter than Hillary down the stretch (odds would suggest so). Rule #1 should be to never alienate potential voters in wanting to come to vote for you. And she dissed 62 million of those potential voters just a couple months before the election. Common sense isn’t so common

#3107 PastorPeachy, Jun 12, 2018
  8. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    I saw that and am literally boiling with so much rage I can't even think straight about it.

What in the actual f is going on in this country anymore...

jan likes this.
  9. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Welcome to the #resistance

edit /s ofc

#3109 jklmnop, Jun 12, 2018
    Jaded and sinon like this.
  10. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

omg

Jaded likes this.
  11. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Provably not true. Look at trends for the economy, inflation, income, national debt, child health metrics, environmental health metrics, healthcare coverage %, etc. You unfortunately have lived your entire life in a period of ^overall decline for the country, so I can see why you might think this.

As the previous election continues to be studied, the economic hardship and forgotten middle hypothesis have been debunked. Newer data points to the racist fear whites had across the educational and economic spectrum at their loss of majority status. https://www.theatlantic.com/science...y-not-poverty-motivates-trump-support/558674/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ere-not-working-class/?utm_term=.7e2383609706

Also, we still do not know the exact scope of the confirmed Russian meddling in our election.

#3111 jklmnop, Jun 12, 2018
    Miriette and jan like this.
  12. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Except that they were okay with him.

Mainstream Republicans supported Roy Moore, either overtly or by their silence as women came forward.

The Republican National Committee supported Roy Moore (twice!).

Big Republican donors like Richard Uihlein supported Roy Moore.

Anything for a Senate seat. This is the sort of politics that have corroded our system, going back decades but accelerating since Gingrich was Speaker.

#3112 jklmnop, Jun 12, 2018
    Delimon, DCI, Miriette and 1 other person like this.
  13. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

#3113 jklmnop, Jun 12, 2018
  14. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

The Trump administration is in the process of reversing Obama-era regulations that require routine leak checks and technological improvements to prevent methane from escaping from pipelines and well sites. The official announcement from the EPA is expected this month. That means in shale plays across the state, and in small towns such as Balmorhea — where fracking is expanding up to the doorstep of the famed Balmorhea swimming hole — methane leaks are set to continue, with significant consequences for both air quality and public health.

Methane, which is about 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide, is a major driver of climate change.

https://www.texasobserver.org/despi...a-roll-back-regulation-prevent-methane-leaks/

jan likes this.
  15. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    [​IMG]
    :p
    Those articles you shared earlier are very eye opening. Sadly, I don't find it surprising. I just hope one day those Americans wake up and start voting based on policies and facts rather than their impulsive feelings, bigotry, and racism...

jklmnop likes this.
  16. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

@PeachyRider@PeachyRider The original question was why do so many people still vote for Republicans when they seemingly don't represent their own interests or values. My answer was that currently a lot of the right wing voting block in the US is much more motivated and united by the things that they are against than the values that the party has traditionally claimed to be important to them. You then pointed out that many liberals are also very rabidly against the president and Republicans in general, which is absolutely true, but not exactly the same thing.

There are clearly plenty of liberals that are bitter partisans that would vote for a regurgitated hot pocket before they'd ever vote for a Republican. That being said, Democrats are still nominating candidates that are in line with the values and policies that the Democratic party claims to support. There might be some Democrats in more conservative districts that are pro life or pro gun or something, but there's no one getting elected on platform of "I hate Trump, but I'd also be cool with dismantling Medicaid." I personally happen to disagree with a lot of things that are popular among liberals, but the Democratic platform pretty accurately reflects what Democrats believe in and what they do. That really isn't the case with the current Republican party.

I'm not going to go through all of the examples that I mentioned, but Roy Moore is a pretty good example. During the Alabama special election primary, the RNC didn't support Roy Moore, because he's a bigot and a complete nut that had already been thrown out of the judiciary twice and who's platform was that we need to get back to God. Then Alabama Republicans voted for him anyway, and the RNC decided to go ahead and back him even though they knew he was an unfit candidate. Then it turned out that Moore spent his 30's cruising for teenagers at the mall and allegedly even sexually assaulted underage girls, and the RNC decided that this was too much and stopped funding his campaign. Then the president stepped in and endorsed Moore, and the RNC went right back to funding his campaign. In the election, a very large majority of Republicans still voted for Moore and he nearly won despite being seemingly engineered in a lab to be the worst candidate ever.

Obviously Republicans would have probably preferred it if Roy Moore hadn't been an alleged child molester, but it wasn't something that was at the top of their list of things to care about, despite "family values" being a proclaimed priority of the right, especially in places like Alabama. To be fair, family values isn't at the top of my priorities list either, and that's fine. If a person really does care deeply about family values though, they probably shouldn't vote for child molesters, and if they don't care so much, they probably shouldn't run around telling everyone that they do. More importantly, they should be more honest about what they do actually care about the most.

For anyone that might not already know what I'm referring to when I talk about the things that truly motivate a large portion of the right in the US, just pick up an AM radio and flip to the first angry white guy. It's a non stop fountain of whining about Hillary Clinton, universities, the media, Hollywood, the deep state, etc. Conspiracy theories for days about how your kids are being indoctrinated and brainwashed and the establishment wants to control every aspect of your life. Occasionally legitimate points are made, but rarely is anything ever about solving anything. It's almost entirely about blowing shit up and destroying enemies without much regard for values or even consequences. This kind of stuff is motivating a lot of people right now, and it's a big reason that it's actually possible to end up with candidates like Roy Moore and Donald Trump.

#3116 DCI, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Delimon, sinon, Kathryn and 4 others like this.
  17. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

For anyone wondering, Paul Manafort's court date is at 10AM EST. Good luck Sneaky P!

jklmnop likes this.
  18. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Meanwhile I see someone's revved up the Distractomobile this morning...

DCI likes this.
  19. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

20. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully reality is setting in now and he comes around to making a deal.

jan, jml and jklmnop like this.