Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

So who's ready for the big summit? Considering that we were almost able to achieve peace with Canada, this should be a walk in the park. Anyone get the pay per view?

micky, kryss and jml like this.
  2. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

The flags, I can't

micky likes this.
  3. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

Well he angered Trudeau so much the poor guy's eyebrows fell off. Now Kudow is in hospital with heart attack and the little dictator, did I spell that right? I so wanted to spell it wrong, the little dictator has learned a new word for his press conference this morning: scientific. oh and he knows all about nuclear because he had an uncle he says, that taught it or something and he had long discussions with him about it when the guy was alive. Sure.

jklmnop, micky and jan like this.
  4. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

jan likes this.
  5. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Fitter Happier

I really don't think ending the joint military exercises would be a bad thing. Not telling South Korea about it beforehand is a pretty "Trump gonna Trump" moment though.

6. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

Maybe so, but the problem is that we have a president that's willing to make foreign policy concessions in exchange for things that he perceives to be politically advantageous for himself, but not necessarily in the best interest of the country. I'm glad he's not threatening nuclear war on twitter anymore, but the giant gift we just gave to NK is worth a lot more than a photo op and a couple of prisoners.

He knows a lot about airplanes.

jklmnop and jan like this.
  7. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

8. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    With all that is going on right now, this makes me feel so sick.

I'm not trying to poke anyone for their political stance, but can any Republican explain how they can support the Republican party when this is happening? Seriously, what does the party even offer their voters anymore?

It's like we're stuck in a vortex of masses of people constantly voting against their own interest, turning a blind eye to the reality right outside our doors.

When do we wake up and realize that the "part of family values" is gutting the country in every single possible way while deflecting any and all blame onto the Democrats?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    jklmnop, Kathryn, micky and 2 others like this.
  9. Brocktoon

Brocktoon
    Expand Collapse
    Hey man, you fuckin' know Belvedere?

*facepalm*

Daniel, jklmnop, micky and 2 others like this.
  10. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

The short answer is that the current voter base of the American right wing isn't defined by any particular values or governing principles. The glue that holds them together is the things that they don't like. I actually happen to agree with a lot of their grievances, but their priorities are completely out of whack and they vote for a lot of candidates that are unfit to govern, because fitness to govern isn't a priority. A lot of the true conservatives that actually care about policy have moved away from the GOP, but they're not that big of a group, and they're also no fan of democrats.

#3090 DCI, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    jklmnop, TotalBabe and sinon like this.
  11. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I used to watch the comedians (Steven Colbert and others) in the mornings - but I don't find them funny anymore. I don't know what to say anymore. It's just so bad :(

sinon likes this.
  12. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    I always thought that our American values were what separated us from countries run by dictators and corrupted officials :( It's disheartening to see that that is the one thing the R voter base has abandoned (for lack of a better word) in exchange for a 'common enemy' (the things they don't like.) My family votes R and likely voted for Trump (tho they won't tell me.) Whenever I asked why they like him, all they could come up with was Hillary's emails. Demonizing Hillary seems to be the one common enemy thing that gets them going, and it's hard to keep my blood pressure right when I think of it that way. Because people voted on impulsive feelings, we are in the mess we're in now...together.

Like you, I can understand their grievances but will they ever realize they're voting in unfit people? That they're voting against their interests every time? Does a common enemy really take precedence over America's long-term stability?

A good example is probably all the workers who thought Trump was going to save their jobs, but now are at risk of losing them because of the tariff wars etc.

At this point, I don't really care for the partisan look of things. Democrat or Republican, we're all human beings living in this country together. At some point I just wish these people could see beyond party lines, but the more I talk to them, the more I think that is impossible for most of them. (Long reply is long but thank you for taking the time to reply! Can also count a lot of those questions as rhetorical if you like as it's a lot to get into lol :) )

:hug:
    I feel you. It gets harder every day to wanna look at any news or media, even comedy. I cried earlier watching a video about how they're ripping families apart at the border. It makes me so inexplicably angry. Not to mention all that's being covered right now is the summit, which I did not watch for my own sanity.

jklmnop, DCI, micky and 2 others like this.
  13. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

There's some good research that compares witnessing war violence to the trauma of being separated from your parents.
    Separation from your parents is worse :(

sinon likes this.
  14. sinon

sinon
    Expand Collapse
    Watashi ga Kita!

• Contributor
    That's so terrible. These horrific acts will go down in history and be in textbooks someday...but not with praise or admiration. This is akin to what the Nazis did and it is absolutely sickening. I saw pictures of children being kept in dog cages like animals and my anger shot through the roof.

I pray the children will be okay after all of this but the scars they will harbor will be with them and their families forever...

jan likes this.
  15. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    Very few things get better with whomever is in office. "We'll have more jobs!" blah blah blah blah

Bush, Obama, Trump, so on and so on. Politicians are great salespeople and that's all they are

Kind of like a lot of liberals everywhere right now. Why do you think people like Stephen Colbert are surviving in the ratings right now? Because his whole show is based around bashing Trump. Trump is a loon, but he's not the only reason this country and society is so divided.

As much as a lot of the media dogs Trump... deep down they're loving this because they're drawing ratings.

62 million people voted for Trump (I know he lost by a few million in the popular vote)(the voting system is a whole another story). A main reason why they voted for him is because they felt "left out" and unnoticed. All this hoopla from the media and late night TV, pro sports, etc bashing the guy is going to lead to the re-election of the damn man. I don't think some people recognize this.

Because a lot of those same 62 million are going to be fed up again and vote for him again.

16. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

“The Trump administration is looking to build tent cities at military posts around Texas to shelter the increasing number of unaccompanied migrant children being held in detention,” McClatchy reports.

“The Department of Health and Human Services will visit Fort Bliss, a sprawling Army base near El Paso in the coming weeks to look at a parcel of land where the administration is considering building a tent city to hold between 1,000 and 5,000 children… The aggressive plan comes at the same time that child shelters are filling up with more children who have been separated from their parents.”

https://politicalwire.com/2018/06/12/trump-will-erect-tent-cities-for-detained-children/

17. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

It's actually not the same thing at all though. Liberals definitely hate Trump, but they still believe in all the same stuff that they have for quite some time (civil rights, social safety nets, progressive taxation, etc). Not only is hating Trump not inconsistent with those values, those values are a big reason why liberals hate Trump in the first place. On the other hand, Republicans are suddenly cool with huge spending, tariffs, adultery, Vladamir Putin, and child molesting cowboys.

18. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    How did liberals feel when Obama racked up 9 trillion dollars in debt in his stint in office?

And I'm sure a lot of Republicans are not "suddenly" okay with those things.

A lot of people voted for Trump not even looking at the facts, but because they disliked Hillary.

19. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    All politics is is a smoke show.

I personally think Obama did a terrible job. And I think Trump is a crazy loon. I also think Hillary would've been just as bad.

20. PastorPeachy

PastorPeachy
    Expand Collapse
    Real Southern Comfort

• Contributor
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • Champion
    You stereotyped republicans and said they're suddenly okay with child molesting cowboys.

Get out of here with that bullshit.

I'm not even Republican.