Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Political Stuff

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jml

jml
    Expand Collapse
    Fitter Happier

The media's really showing its ass with this White House Correspondents Dinner "controversy"

kryss, jan, jklmnop and 1 other person like this.
  2. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

Also overlooked by the various weekend controversies was this Friday night Richard Engel special that connected a few more dots re Russia. The first segment of the show was the one on Veselnitskaya (sp) so their autoplayer should play them in order after that I think. The Wagner Group and the Himes interview both seemed pretty shocking imo. I mean, so did the Veselnitskaya segment but it really just adds more evidence to what have been murmurs for months re: her Kremlin/Chaika associations.

http://www.msnbc.com/onassignment

#2982 jklmnop, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    jan likes this.
  3. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

jklmnop and jml like this.
  4. cassius

cassius
    Expand Collapse

5. Horse Feathers

Horse Feathers
    Expand Collapse
    There's no future in time travel.

• Contributor
    lololol, Rudy, the idiot gift that keeps on giving. ;)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    DCI, jklmnop, jan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Achilles2357

Achilles2357
    Expand Collapse

I think your paper trail point is a good one.

I was going to post a longer message but it got too long.... but the gist of it was that it is not clear how the many people who have reasonable idealistic aspirations will be well-served by supporting the "donkey". People who would have traditionally been regarded as supporters of the left, like Julian Assange and Glenn Greenwald, are now routinely blasting the DNC//Clinton sorts.

To be honest, I now consider myself basically a sort of right-winger who has a lot of basically left-wing ideals. But I see, internally, identifying as a sort of right winger as amounting to trying to deal with reality, and I see left wing views as aspirational. Great! Let's pursue ideals. But we have to pursue them in the actual world....

Jaded likes this.
  7. <Gucci>

<Gucci>
    Expand Collapse
    Francis Manancis ...fuck you...

• Threaderator
    • Crowd Pleaser
    • HIT Poster
    • Mentor
    I usually don’t even come around here to post stuff. I’m not even saying that I’m on any political side. I just think this pic is funny
    [​IMG]

8. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

The craziest part about this was that it was calculated. Seems fairly obvious at this point that they are screwed.

Horse Feathers and Jaded like this.
  9. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

It's not really necessary to identify as anything or support any party, and competency doesn't really have anything to do with political orientation. There are plenty of politicians from both parties that are overly ideological with zero talent for actual governance, and there are some politicians from both parties that are actually qualified for their jobs. We'd all be a lot better off if we hired politicians the same way we hire anyone else, which is to ask first whether or not the person is qualified for the job, and if not, they can just go in the trash without having to waste time worrying about less important things.

People who regularly vote straight tickets or agree with a political party on almost every single issue are very unlikely to actually be thinking independently and objectively about those issues. People who give money to political parties while complaining about money in politics are probably also not helping themselves much.

Imo, the only reason to have anything to do with either political party is to be able to vote in primaries, but in a lot of states you can do that as an independent anyway.

10. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

In normal circumstances I agree that fealty to any one party is folly. However, these are not normal circumstances. It does not take that much research to demonstrate that one of the two major political parties in our current system is overarchingly corrupt, determined to make life harder for anyone who is not rich or white, and complicit in the growing kleptocracy that is our federal government and many of our state governments. I mean, The List is not nothing. The rampant corruption in the Cabinet is not nothing. The structure of the tax bill bounty going predominantly to the wealthy and corporations is not nothing. The attempts to push people away from government engagement and assistance rather than lift them up through government engagement and assistance are not nothing. The sort of meetings GOP elites are having (this is from last month) are not nothing. These things are being researched and worked and legislated by design, and Republicans are the ones right now in power doing the plundering. Right now. In all our names. You can watch the place burn down or do something to support the people trying to put out the flames.

jan and Jaded like this.
  11. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

I agree with most of that, and I think that voting a straight ticket in this particular cycle is justifiable, but I'm still not going to register as a democrat or give money to the dnc.

I don't see any reason to knowingly give money to an organization that sucks, especially when it would better serve my interests to donate to something more specific anyway.

jklmnop and Jaded like this.
  12. jklmnop

jklmnop
    Expand Collapse
    data sanitation engineer

lol I replied to some survey they mass-emailed like a week ago (right before unsubbing from all their shit) with basically the same sentiments. They have done damage. No love for the DNC here.

DCI likes this.
  13. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

Breaking -
    Cohen was wiretapped
    :ducky:
    (that's a sitting duck.......)

jklmnop likes this.
  14. Brocktoon

Brocktoon
    Expand Collapse
    Hey man, you fuckin' know Belvedere?

Lordy, there are tapes...

Krikket, jklmnop and jan like this.
  15. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

I hope it doesn't take 6 months to indict Cohen. The suspense is killing me.

jklmnop, Jaded and jan like this.
  16. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

I remember reading somewhere (I think on Slate) that watergate was so benign - and then just an undercurrent - and then all of the sudden, it heated up and the whole affair accelerated.

I have felt this level of anticipation before, but it seems to me that things are about the *really* break.

jklmnop likes this.
  17. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

I dunno. It's pretty hard to tell when anything will happen, even in cases where it's obvious what direction things are going. There is so much red tape involved, and given the gravity of these investigations, everything will be done super cautiously. It was quite a while after the FBI raided Paul Manafort's home before he was indicted, and he had been under investigation for years.

Imo it's almost guaranteed that Cohen will get indicted at some point though, and for crimes much more serious than a campaign finance violation. Nobody gets these kinds of warrants for something like that. It could still be quite a while before we find out though.

At least there's a pretty good chance that it won't be much longer before there's either an agreement on an interview with the president or a subpoena or nothing. MSNBC is probably already warming up their Trump 5th amendment highlight reel.

jan, jklmnop and Jaded like this.
  18. DCI

DCI
    Expand Collapse

It's also now being reported that the surveillance on Cohen's phone wasn't a wire tap, but just a monitoring of his call history, so there are no recordings, and the standard for that type of warrant isn't as high.

jan, Jaded and Horse Feathers like this.