Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Former Medical Student

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alyssa Snider, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Alyssa Snider

Alyssa Snider
    Expand Collapse

I began medical school as a single mother with a 1-year-old. Our closest relatives and friends were 600 miles away. For the next 3.5 years, I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into my child and my career. I was hospitalized on two different occasions for sleep-deprivation psychosis. As graduation got closer and closer, I was finally starting to feel like I had this. I was so proud of myself for being a great role model for my daughter. I felt like I made it.

In December 2017, with just 6 months left to graduate from medical school and receive an MD, the school dismissed me for unprofessionalism. Apparently I pissed off an attending surgeon and that's all it took for my lifelong dream to go swirling down the drain. I now have $250K in student loan debt without the MD degree. If it sounds like I'm still bitter about this, it's because I am.

That's what led me to look for work-from-home jobs. I don't remember exactly how I found MTurk, but I do remember I was hooked from the very beginning. I hope to meet, talk, and work with all of you amazing, resourceful, intelligent human beings... just don't ask me to take a look at your mole.

Let the new journey begin!

-Alyssa

Achilles2357 and jan like this.
  2. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

wow. that sounds awful. You can't apply to another school??

I wonder, too, if it's possible for you to just get an RN (and work to become a PA). You already have what it takes (should be ezpz)?
    I know it's not what you intended, but salary-wise, it might be okay?

Alyssa Snider likes this.
  3. Alyssa Snider

Alyssa Snider
    Expand Collapse

If I had been dismissed for academic reasons, then I might have had a fighting chance in gaining admission at another school, but if a student is dismissed for behavioral reasons, the other schools won't touch the student with a 10-foot pole. As for RN, I was 6 months into nursing school when I applied to medical school. I just didn't feel challenged enough in nursing. In hindsight, I should have chosen nursing.

Fortunately, (this is a little known fact) students in my situation have 10+ different ways to either greatly reduce loan debt, or have the entire amount forgiven completely. So, I am not too worried about my long-term financial situation.

Thank you for asking :) As you can imagine, I don't talk to many of my family and friends about it. It's too heavy.

jan likes this.